Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Saturday 14 January 2012

The Valley - January 14th



After visiting Parliament to check on the Peregrines at dawn I left London a few hours later and headed for the Valley, with good sunshine I was hoping for a Bittern. With much of the lakes frozen up I thought I had a good chance of catching up with one of the 2 or 3 that are present. Again no luck, they are very hard to locate but I did catch up with the White Fronted Goose again, with colder weather forecast and a change to an easterly for once, we could also see the arrival of the rarer ducks like Smew, Goldeneye or a Goosander.






White Fronted Goose - click on photos to enlarge




With the brighter weather I also caught up with 2 Common Buzzards, presumably a pair, one aloft and one in trees with 2 Crows for company. Elsewhere overhead I had a flock of 120 Lapwing with 4 Golden Plover calling in with them.





Green Woodpecker taken the other day in the garden

Distant male Sparrowhawk obviously been chasing something with white feathering showing

Mute Swan males, just starting to warm up

Distant Common Buzzard

Mute Swan

A Mistle Thrush was singing along with at least 3 Song Thrushes, a good morning to be out and great not to feel a westerly wind for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment