Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Sunday 2 October 2011

Semipalmated Sandpiper - Coalhouse Fort

Saturday October 1st

As my mates know I am not a twitcher chasing them god knows where all over Britain, I get my kicks from Peregrines and local patching.On the other hand I can very much see the thrill of seeing a new bird, I get the same buzz when I find one locally. I dare say if I had the time I would do more twitching, I have been to the Scillies and run with the best of them for a tick, it is fun. I was at Barking Bay this morning ,of course after seeing England see off the Jocks in the World Cup, and it was dead, too hot and no movement of any kind. Earlier Shaun and Paul had rang me to tell me of the Semipalmated Sandpiper found by Paul Wood, well done to him, on a whim I went, it turned out a good move as I connected with the bird as the tide was rising.



Semipalmated Sandpiper, Little Stint and Ringed Plover

Click on photos to enlarge




Not only was it present but there were also other goodies, 2 Little Stints topped the list giving good views along with the semi as the tide pushed them ever closer. Supporting cast along the tide line included Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Grey Plover, a number of Black Tailed Godwits with 5 Bar Tails also dropping in.As the tide covered the mud, everything went over to roost at Cliffe including a distant flock of Avocet around 150 birds.



Little Stint

It got even better then with 5 Brent Geese going up river, this group or another 5 were seen about 20 minutes afterwards, again going up river.




Brent Geese

The finale was a cracking Pomarine Skua heading up river around 3.00pm, hot, bright sunshine, no cloud cover, no easterly or north easterly blowing it down, sometimes it just doesn’t make sense, I am not complaining though.




 Pomarine Skua



Heavily cropped - note deep chest


A flyover calling Rock Pipit was the first for me for the 2nd winter period.
Summing up a very good afternoon.





1 comment: