Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Thursday 15 October 2015

Ingrebourne Valley





Farm Trail

October 15th




Not a bright morning weather wise with grey skies and a fresh northerly wind, the morning had a distinct autumn feel to it as I started the Farm Trail circuit.


Virtually the first birds seen other than 2 flyover Ring Necked Parakeets were a flock of 25 Lesser Redpolls in the tall trees on the bend by the river.

These were quickly on the move and headed over towards Glades, a very good start, I then started to pick up Goldcrest, overhead Song Thrush and Redwing.

Eventually going through Deadmans Wood and hearing even more Goldcrest I arrived at the Farm Trail, a few Meadow Pipits were calling before I arrived half way along where the game crop starts.

I was on the lookout for the Grey Partridge that had been seen recently, shoot birds no doubt but a rare bird these days and always good to catch up with.

However it was quickly evident that the game crop and surrounding bushes were alive with Yellowhammers, Reed Buntings and Chaffinches. Initially I had 16 Yellowhammers which flew out of the hedge and dropped into the crop, I then flushed another 19 as I walked down the hedgerow towards Glades.
A big count for this early in the year, considering I only had 6 on the 7th, 35 birds is a good number and may reflect the colder weather changes.
Added to this there were at least 80+ Chaffinches/Reed Buntings in and around the crop, hopefully this bodes well for some good winter numbers, perhaps even some Brambling.One year this game crop even pulled in a Tree Sparrow so well worth keeping an eye on.

Glades produced even more Goldcrests along with 4 Green Woodpeckers before I arrived in the viewing area.

Water levels are still high but 50 odd Lapwing had managed to find a spot to rest.

The finale was 18 Fieldfare going over high and a flock of 25 Wigeon seen distantly, I suspect put up off the Reservoir.

Coffee was calling; this new Centre is going to spoil me.




No comments:

Post a Comment