Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Wednesday 13 October 2021

Brixham, Berry Head

 




Arrived back last Friday after 5 days in Brixham, Devon, fantastic stay made all the better by discovering a new B&B with great owners, it will now be without doubt, the go to place for the future. The view from the window was something else as you can see.






As per usual when we visit, I slipped away at dawn one morning, reluctantly forgoing the breakfast, to visit Berry Head to see what is around, in past years I have had some good birding up here.

On the day I went, Wednesday it was a fine sunrise to say the least, worth the visit just to see this coming up over the seas.

Virtually the first birds seen were 4 Cirl Buntings, I have seen them here before and they can be tricky, however I caught them exiting a set of thick roost bushes. A quick preen and all 4 flew off high and that was the last I saw of them, despite a good look later.

Settling down on the point for a sea watch, I could see many Gannets on the move, over the course of 3 hours, I probably recorded around 200 all going west.

During this time, I also picked up a single Manx Shearwater, 2 Razorbills, 4 Ravens overhead, rafts of Kittiwakes and Guillemots seemed to be everywhere on the water, including many still on the cliff face. All were distant views from the top of the cliff point but very enjoyable nonetheless.

There were also good numbers of Porpoises, likely around 8 of them constantly around the point and it wasn’t too long before some Common Dolphins came into view, I ended up seeing around 20 of them, one pod of around 12 moving strongly west.






















Could have done with a scope but the camera bought them in a little closer, photos not great but always enjoyable down here.

A good stay and Brixham never disappoints as ever, great food.



No comments:

Post a Comment