Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Friday 18 September 2020

Cooling Marshes

 



September 2nd



Heading into Kent to check on a Peregrine site, with the weather forecast fresh in my thoughts, wall to wall sunshine, I made a quick decision to head down to Cooling Marshes arriving just as dawn showed its head.

You know me, I do like a sunrise and out here they are stunning, I stopped half way out on the track just to watch it, looking for birds as well of course.






A Marsh Harrier ghosted past having just left roost presumably but virtually the first birds seen were a group of 5 Whinchat, a great start to the morning as I drove out through umpteen gates heading for the Breach. 








Looking out on the mud flats produced around 1000 Black Tailed Godwit, around 400 Avocet and 35 Curlew. 
Moving on I found more Whinchat, Bearded Tit, a cracking Merlin, the occasional Yellow Wagtail and 3 Wheatear.

Raven also put in an appearance with 4 out in the fields cronking away, possibly a family group.

A cracking morning with some good birds seen, 15+ Common Terns seen on the river as the tide came in, also included 2 very confiding juveniles.



















I spent around 5 hours on site, thoroughly enjoyed it, with surveys starting again in October looking forward to even more visits, the sunrises and solitude alone are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment