Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Tuesday 16 December 2014

Two Tree Island Roost







December 6th



After the mornings visit at Wallasea Island RSPB to round off the day I visited Two Tree on the way home, coinciding the visit with a rising tide.

With the sun now out in all its glory, I timed my arrival with perfection as the waders began to come into roost.



How many would you say in this flock of Knot? 

For an hour I watched them and scanned around looking for something out of the ordinary, nothing materialised but I did have some good flocks with Knot and Dunlin in particular present in numbers.













Flocks were on the move a lot so counts are always going to be your best estimate as they came and went from the scrape to the Saltings and vice versa.

I arrived at the following.

Dunlin – 400

Avocet – 56

Knot – 1200 a rough estimate

Grey Plover – 12

Kingfisher – 1

Bar Tailed Godwit - 35 outside on Salting but didn’t come in to scrape

Black Tailed Godwit – 5

Greenshank – 5

Common Snipe – 42 around the margins

Ringed Plover – 37

Lapwing – 108

The Knot were interesting, I watched a flock drop in(as above)and merge with birds already roosting, as they dropped in I estimated the airborne flocks number, thinking around 600 odd birds.

I decided when I got home to count the flock from a photo, basically to see how far out I was.

Below is the actual number give or take 4 or 5, surprising but they are densely packed.


Surprising isn't it

No comments:

Post a Comment