Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Wednesday 16 March 2011

Rainham RSPB March 15th

After finishing a local survey on the Thames I decided on a walk round the Reserve, don’t seem to have the time these days to cover it as much as I used to, this was only my 3rd visit of the year. There was a time when I was glued to the place, for the 1st time ever I am not year listing the site, must admit it is nice not to have to drop everything, make time and high tail it over there for a year tick. Site ticks, they are a different matter, Dominic’s Slaty Backed Gull had me legging it up the footpath in my lunch break as I was working at nearby Romford, complete in working gear, hob nailed boots, hard hat and all.


Very distant Ring Tailed Hen Harrier
Was optimistic on the weather with Raptors in mind, the forecast was for 16 degrees, blue skies and sunshine, as usual they cocked up, it was grey and misty all day.


Wren

None the less I saw some good birds including the Ring Tailed Hen Harrier, a rare bird nowadays under extreme pressure up north unfortunately.

Also seen on a round robin walk was

Golden Plover – 10

Ringed Plover

Peregrine – on prey on the usual pylon

Cetti’s Warbler – 4 calling

Pintail – 8

Dunlin – around 100 on the mud flats.


Stoat - sussed and about to bolt
Russ, good to meet you, after we talked of the Weasel, shortly down the road a Stoat came out in front of me, got one shot off and then it disappeared, fast does not even begin to describe it.









Green Woodpecker - came into the garden this afternoon grubbing in the grass



1 comment:

  1. Green Woodpeckers & stoats the education of Lemayrenee continues - thanks

    ReplyDelete