Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Wednesday 8 December 2021

Beckton Sewage Works

 



Beckton Sewage Works

149 up.....



It’s taken a while but finally got one of the birds that I have in mind for a few years at Beckton, it’s an overdue addition to add to the site list that’s been going for over 20 years now.
It brings the site list up to 149 species seen on or over site since I started it.

Avocet, 4 of them, finally made the journey up river; I would presume from Rainham RSPB and very likely linked to the cold spell. They are pretty regular at Rainham and West Thurrock Marshes and also in good numbers in the winter.

I know they had been seen a couple of days previously at the Outfall, I couldn’t get over until Sunday but rather surprisingly they were still present at low tide.

As I have said before, the list is a bit of light hearted fun that keeps you forever searching for something new, it’s a bit of a birder thing most do locally, it brings out the competitor in us all.

I know for a fact that I will be out New Years day again starting a new year list over the Valley, standing in the dark and cold early a.m, trying to get Woodcock/Tawny Owl etc, I know I’m nuts, Chris tells me all the time.

Getting back to Beckton the Avocets were the 100th species for the year list for me, I’m going to be pushed to match, or better, last year’s total of 105 with just 3 weeks left........... however you never know what’s round the corner.




                                                          Avocet - a welcome addition









                                                     Common Buzzard, pair on site as usual



                                                      Kestrel, tied to the nest box at all times.



No comments:

Post a Comment