Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Sunday 12 June 2011

Rainham RSPB and a Privet Hawkmoth

June 12th

I don’t seem to be able to visit the Reserve as much these days, Peregrines and surveys now seem to take up every weekend, this morning I made the most of the weather before it turned with a dawn visit.


Little Egret


Tail less Wren
I was not expecting much in the way of migrants, but hoped for a hunting Hobby for a photo as it was quite bright to start with.

The Thames was very quite with no waders seen apart from 3 noisy Oystercatchers displaying, no birds on the Kent side other than Gulls and Shelduck, the odd Mallard made up the balance.



Tiercel
The Reserve produced a calling Yellow Wagtail, around 4 Little Egrets with a Little Ringed Plover heard, the highlight was undoubtedly 2 Peregrines pair hunting a flock of Starlings, quite a sight, even for me who watches them all the time, spectacular stuff. All the sorties were launched from the pylons, 2 Starlings were seen to be taken.


Much darker Falcon
Another highlight came as I left the Reserve, due to the early hour I had parked the car outside, as I came to the path outside I found a Hawkmoth on a large granite stone. Not sure of its identity I called Howard, he confirmed it was a Privet Hawkmoth, due to its location it was moved to safeguard it as it was in open view and in a dangerous position on the path.


Hawkmoth on path



 











No comments:

Post a Comment