Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Sunday 20 August 2023

Beckton Sewage Works List


 

Following on from Rainham listing on E Bird I have now gone through the same process, reviewing records, chasing dates and generally being a pain in the arse, pushing mates for dates/info, especially Paul, due to having a crap memory and not recording dates at Beckton.

I have undertaken a review of all my Beckton Sewage Works records, in the early years, I used to lump all of my records in with Barking Bay, as they were so close together and I always birded them at the same time. Sadly, most of Barking Marsh has/is disappearing under construction and I stopped doing the site a good few years back.

No doubt with that fantastic large expanse of mud, you still get some good wader passage though. One of the problems with visiting the Bay has always been trying to park your car somewhere safely, the road is very remote, especially early mornings.

Having now scrutinised all my Beckton Sewage works records and having discarded the records from Barking Bay, I have now arrived at 141 species.

Omitted Barking Bay records are really good birds like Stone Curlew (2011), Manx Shearwater (2008!), 2 Little Stints, Short Eared Owl, Roseate Tern (2011), White Winged Black Tern 2000!), Barred Warbler (1996!) and Lapland Bunting. I missed the 1995 Woodchat Shrike and the Marsh Warbler on Barking Marsh; it just shows what a fantastic area it was at one time.

Anyway, I have seen some good birds and will hopefully continue to do so at the Sewage Works, other records I have discarded there completely are Glaucous Gull, I had it down but for the life of me cannot recall seeing it. Another is Honey Buzzard; I simply cannot remember this but suspect it may have been during the 2000 influx down to the South coast.

It gives you a bit of incentive, hopefully I can get them back in the future.

A few photos of some Sewage Works birds over the years.




                                                            Black Tern May 17th 2019


                                                             Iceland Gull January 8th 2020


                                                     Siberian Chiffchaff January 18th 2020


                                                         Ring Ouzel April 13th 2019


                                                             Little Gull May 17th 2019


                                                          Garganey April 15th 2022


                                                         Great Egret October 14th 2020


                                                          Greenshank April 25th 2021


                                                          Spoonbill September 21st 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment