Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Sunday 1 May 2022

Cooling Marshes

 



Myself and Paul finished the Marshes surveys last winter 2020/2021, so I hadn’t been over the site for a good whiles but I got the opportunity to revisit on Saturday morning.

Usually tied up with peregrine visits early a.m at weekends, when the most activity happens, it was great to undertake some birding on the North Kent Marshes again and at a site, where I know I’m likely to see some ‘good’ birds and so it proved.

I had a great morning, caught up with some goodies and also found a Wood Sandpiper, over a 5 hour period I also recorded 75 species.

On the Wader front, other than the Wood Sandpiper, there was also a flock of 42 Bar Tailed Godwits on the shoreline, 2 Knot were in with them as well and at least 11 Whimbrel were seen over the course of the morning including a flock of 7.

A kettle of 7 Common Buzzards and a Marsh Harrier thermalling reflected the warm weather and sunshine, also good to see 50 odd Swallows going through.

4 singing Corn Buntings, 15+ Yellow Wagtails, 2 Whinchat, Stonechat and 2 Wheatear were the pick of the small stuff and good to see a summer plumed Cattle Egret going over.

The most amusing sight was seeing 2 Stoats, seemingly one chasing the other, come round the corner towards me with both stopping dead in front of me, sizing me up as a threat or not. Not sure on Stoat behaviour but would presume it was a male chasing a female.

After both looking me over and approaching quite close, they veered off into the grass and went around me, great to see these spectacular little animals, exceptionally fast I had a job getting some shots of them but luckily a few came out.

A superb morning and great to be back.




























1 comment: