Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Sunday 22 May 2016

Busy Bee





This is the first chance I have had to blog of late, surveys, watching briefs and Peregrine related monitoring of the sites I keep an eye on, has kept me very busy over the past few weeks or so.

It is a far cry from the hours I once put in for Steelfixing though, although that work was enjoyable and satisfying at times, it was hard graft; the bird work however is very rewarding and physically far less demanding.


The Falcon at Parliament - pity about the light

The Peregrines that I monitor this year(more on this on the next post) to date are having a good year again, my main monitoring sites all have chicks, one site has only produced a single eyass this year, but for size it is the biggest I have seen on social media.

Checking on Friday (13th) showed a chick over 3 weeks old, perhaps a day or 2 older, they would have to have laid relatively early for it to be this size already.

One of my other main sites, which produced only my 2nd clutch of 5 eggs to date and my first in London, have hatched 4 of the 5 successfully. These are on CCTV (not public) and have proved fascinating to watch, as much as you think you know, there is always something new to learn.

Thursday (19th) is ringing day for 2 of the sites, green rings with white numerals will again be going on as per last year.

In regard to surveys and watching briefs, I have been out on the North Kent Marshes mostly; it’s no secret that I love the wildness of the place and the birds that it attracts.

Highlights have been good numbers of migrants moving through, including 45 summer plumed Grey Plover in a single flock, also summer plumed Bar Tailed Godwit and Dunlin on a number of days. All are cracking looking birds which I rarely see in their breeding finery, usually associating them with the cold of the winter months.












On the Raptor front, female Merlin, Marsh Harrier, Common Buzzard and Hobby have been the highlights.



No comments:

Post a Comment