Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Friday 26 August 2011

Canvey Point

August 26th

Decided on an early morning visit as the tide was due to peak around 10-10.30am, the weather was foul, overcast, wet and eventually the wind settled to a North Westerly. Ideal conditions in which I hoped for some Skua’s.

Needless to say I did not see one, I gave it about 2 hours, Jeff and others were there when I left, they may have seen some.

Sandwich Tern (click on photos to enlarge)

Curlew coming in to roost

Common Tern
The undoubted highlight was finding 2 Black Necked Grebes sitting on the river, one still retaining summer plumage and the other more into winter, these came in with the tide and later flew out before landing again. A good bird for the point and certainly a first for me here,I suspect one of these was the bird that Jeff had seen 5 minutes previous distantly.

2 Black Necked Grebes going out, I know crap photo
Also seen were

Sandwich Tern – present but not in the usual numbers

Black Tern – 9 seen, I know Jeff had more as he was there earlier

Common Scoter – 3

Grey Seal – 1

Harbour Porpoise – 2 sightings

Arctic Tern – 1 definate


One can only wish

Not even sure if a Lottery win would cover this
Also seen coming in was a luxury Yacht called the AVIVA, not up in Roman’s class size wise but certainly a cracking looking ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment