Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Sunday 1 May 2011

Little Stints - Barking Bay

Sunday May 1st

As is usual these days I popped into the Bay after a dawn start at Battersea Power Station.After yesterdays wader fest by John and others across the Thames, I was hoping that some may have lingered and I could catch up with a few.


Bar Tailed Godwits (click on photos too enlarge)

Greenshank
Anyone who birds on this side of the Thames will know that you are always facing glare from the sun, today was no different with a strong easterly making it even harder to get a decent photo, I am saying this now as the photos below are poor. What I need is an anti-glare image stabilized telescope.



Little Stints

On arrival I walked the shoreline looking for waders, located Whimbrel, Curlew, 9 Bar Tailed Godwits, 3 Ringed Plovers, a single Dunlin, 2 Common Sandpipers and 4 Greenshank. An excellent assortment of birds, the male Bar Tails really are striking.



Little Stint, Ringed Plover and Dunlin




 The 2 Little Stints were glued to 3 Ring Plovers and the Dunlin, had a few doubts at first, it all goes through your head, the last Little Stint that I saw was a few years back, the length of bill seemed longer than I remembered. Paul and Bradders turned up and were lucky enough to see them before the tide sent them on there way, hopefully they will be relocated, Rainham has got to be favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment