Click on photos to enlarge, please do not copy photos without permission

Wednesday 7 January 2015

Peregrines - 2014 a year in review






I can’t believe how fast 2014 has flown by, I can remember writing up the last review for the previous year, seems like yesterday.

For me and the pairs that I monitor it has been another good year, not so good nationally in some areas unfortunately but as per 2013 London did not fare so bad.

I monitor 11 pairs, 9 of these are monitored week in, week out with the 2 remaining pairs being looked after and monitored by others, in the case of Charing X Hospital, a publicised site, Nathalie looks after these from Fulham and Barnes Peregrines.

When I say looked after, they have to be ‘ managed ‘ as such due to the Schedule 1 Laws, the licence period for peregrines is February 1st until mid July minimum.

With climate change and London’s warmer temperatures laying times seem to be getting earlier and earlier, I can well see the Feb 1st licence date one day being reviewed.

The pairs above produced 25 juveniles, of these 6 grounded on their maiden flights, managed to get 5 back up but one was lost unfortunately.

More recently I have heard that one of the ringed juveniles (AT) has been found dead, unfortunately a possible victim of power lines or another pair of Peregrines. It was found 300 metres from a nesting site so suspect that it could have been chased.

An unfortunate end but many don’t get through their first winter sadly.


Sadly no longer with us - if anyone sees these coloured rings or any other colour on a Peregrine could you contact the BTO.

Highlights of the year have to be a ringed juvenile from another pair, leaving its own family of its own accord, and then attaching itself to another family, in this case the Battersea Power Station pair.

A remarkable series of events as it happened very early, the end of June, both adults accepted it at Battersea and as far as I am aware, the new juvenile, she was ringed, never went back to its own ‘blood’ parents.

As to the reason why it left who knows, who’s to say it’s not a by product of high density in London and adults will accept other juveniles without question?

It had ‘natural’ siblings of its own – 2 no, it left them and went with the 2 juveniles at Battersea, I last saw it in September, I often wonder where she is now.

Middle female is ringed bird - the 2 bigger females were inseparable after this

The 2 females

Ringed female flying

Another highlight was fostering another fledged juvenile with another pair, it was found concussed and taken to Sue at the South Essex Wildlife Hospital. I knew where it was found and I knew the pair involved, I also knew I would have the devil’s own time re - finding them. This pair, as soon as the juveniles are flying strongly enough leave the nest site and go a wandering for some reason; they also have a big territory.

Needless to say, after picking it up from the Hospital, they were not at the nest site building when I looked, I then made the decision to foster it with another pair. Without adults to teach them to hunt and feed them they will likely not survive if released on their own.

Fostered

I released it with the new foster parents and they took it in straight away, it also had 4 juveniles for company which was great for it. The juveniles now numbered 5, to see 7 peregrines in the sky together as the juveniles loudly chased the adults for food was simply stunning, and at times amusing, it gave me a lot of satisfaction watching them.

This is the 2nd juvenile that I have released with another pair, I did the same the year before, in both cases I used the same Fosters.

All in all another good year, hopefully 2015 will match it.

































2 comments: